History

Our present building has been open as a place of worship since January 1966, but its history in  Nuneaton stretches back almost 200 years.  In 1820 the first attempt to establish Methodism in Nuneaton met with failure, but a few years later a place of worship was succesfully established in two small adjacent cotteges on Abbey Street, with a further cottages at the rear used as a Sunday School.  In 1841 the first  Weslyan Methodist Chapel was built on our present site.  In 1873, growth in the society neccessitated a larger chapel, which opened on the corner of Stratford Street and Abbey Street, the original chapel being retained as a Sunday School.  After a re-design and enlargement, this building remained in use until 1963.

A Primitive Methodist Chapel was established on Queen's Road and the Primitive society met there for 60 years, visited during this time by the founder of Primitive Methodism, Hugh Bourne.  The Primitive cause flourished and in 1897 a new chapel was opened on the corner of Queen's Road and Edward Street, which was used continuously until 1966.

Following the Methodist Union in 1932, the two societies came into closer contact and agreement was reached to amalgemante and the present church was built.

In 2014 after much prayerful consideration the churches of Attleborough & Stockingford decided to cease worship in their buildings and join with St John's to form the new Nuneaton Methodist Church.  The Stockingford building is in the process of being transformed into a Community Cafe in partnership with St Paul's Church, Stockingford

In 2016 the fifieth annivertsary of our building will provide the opportunity for a celebration of Methodism  throughout Nuneaton, with special events planned thrrughout the year.

Nuneaton Methodist Church is part of the Coventry and Nuneaton Circuit. Check the Circuit website www.methodists5-10.org.uk for full information of our life, activites and resources.